Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday March 30th




Gotta love that wide angle... This shot was taken at the St. James church on Sunday where we were shooting some stuff for their website. It was taken with a 17-35 2.8 on a D700. The thing is, with a full frame you get this wonderful wide view when only at 17mm. I love it. Unfortunately it's Shad's not mine, but I can still enjoy looking at it. We wanted to publicly thank the St. James Church for inviting us to photograph their wonderful facilities.

I noticed something lately that got me thinking about my style of shooting, and I wanted to share it with you. I notice that some people tend to "overshoot". They keep their camera in continuous shooting mode and instead of taking one picture at a time, they take three or four. There are various reasons for this, but when I've asked the people doing it why, the most common answer is this: " well I figure that if I shoot a bunch I'm bound to get one good one". Is this where the digital world has brought us? Are we so lazy that we don't want to take the time to COMPOSE the image. Are we unable to get the shot right so we just "spray and pray"? I don't think so. Unless I'm shooting something that is moving very fast, I don't take my camera off of single shot mode. I don't need to take 15 photos of someone sitting next to a beautiful lake. Instead I would rather spend the extra time changing the composition and seeing if a different perspective makes the image better. Instead of holding down the shutter button, stoop down, move to the right or left... Do something, anything to make the image different. You'd be surprised how much it will better your images. You will grow as a photographer. Maybe this is a rant, or I'm just tired but I thought it important to share with you. If you are one of these people, try to slow down a little and make it count in the first frame, instead of the 15th... See you all tomorrow. Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment