Monday, February 23, 2009

Officially Official




We're official now. We got into our new studio this week! Shad and I have decided to combine forces and do the studio together. Shad and Wendy(Shad's wife) spent all day Saturday painting the shooting room, and Shad and I spent most of the day Sunday painting the front room. The paint was barely dry, and we had a backdrop and lights setup because we had some shots we had to take care of. Business waits for no one! What you see above is one of the finished images of Caryn, a bikini model for Ruby Ice productions. They are going to be putting out a swimsuit calender and this is one of the headshots that I took for the model. Since we're combining we're going to no longer have separate business names, and instead become Red Door Photography. This is because of the bright red door that people look for when coming to the studio. As you can see in this photo of a monkey, I mean Shad standing in front of the place.

Photobucket

Anyway, we're hoping to have an open house party sometime in March. I'll keep you updated on that. We're about 5 blocks from Newport on the Levee so hopefully we'll be in there soon handing out fliers, and advertisements. Also for those who haven't signed up, the workshop for the 7th is almost full. Make sure if you want to attend you sign up ASAP.

One of the readers asked me about how I did the sunrise shot that I posted last week, so I thought that would be a good topic for today. First let me give you my settings for that shot. I was shooting ISO200, f/3.5 17mm 1.3seconds. So obviously the first thing to note is that I was shooting at ISO200. This is the cameras "native" ISO. This means that it is the ISO that the camera works best at. The lower the ISO, the less noise you will have in your picture. f/3.5 is the aperture that I decided to go with at that particular time. In hindsight I probably should have gone with something a little narrower like f/11. So anyone taking photographs of a sunrise or sunset, remember keep your apertures towards the high end. 17mm was the widest available lens that I had which is why I chose it. If I would have had a wider lens such as the wonderful Tokina 11-16 I would have been using that. With a shutter speed of 1.3 seconds, handholding isn't an option. You have to have a tripod and a cable release or at the minimum use the self timer. The biggest and most important thing to consider is the weather. Obviously it should be a clear morning. Clouds are ok, as long as the sky isn't covered by them. It's good to have something in the sky to reflect the light. Around here in Cincinnati it's rare that we get the nice big fluffy clouds like they do in other parts of the country, but our soupy looking clouds just have to suffice. Other than that, there isn't much to it. Take a photo, check out what it looks like on the display, and go from there. Listen that's it for today. I'm beat from yesterday, and I need a nap. I'll see you all tomorrow. Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment