Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wednesday, April 22




Credit where credit is due. I like to think that I'm pretty good about giving out credit when someone be it a person or a business does a good job. If a waiter or waitress does a good job, I usually leave a good tip... Anyway anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a tinkerer. I like to take things apart and see how they work. If something breaks, I try to fix it myself before I call for help. This was oh so evident the night that I opened up an SB800 to figure out what was wrong with it, and unloaded the capacitor through my index finger... but that's another story. A few weeks ago while on vacation in FL I got a piece of sand inside of my LCD on my laptop, I don't know how(I was never at the beach with it) but it happened. I didn't have proper tools with me, so I went at it with my Leatherman and proceeded to take apart my laptop. I was doing fine until I got to the actual LCD bezel. I slipped while separating the top and bottom half and cracked the screen. If you've never cracked and LCD screen, think of it like a car window. It starts at one fine spot, and "spiders" throughout the rest of the screen. That brings us up to the Compliment. I got home, did some research and found that Toshiba wanted $345 to replace the screen. Did a little more research and found Screen Country. This is a screen wholesaler out of Canada, BC to be exact. First of all, they were the cheapest replacement screen supplier I found, bar none. I assumed that I would be getting a knock off brand screen, and I would have to tweak it a lot with my calibrator. I was wrong. They sent me an exact replacement for the screen that was coming out of the laptop. I was shocked! So there's credit number one. If you have a screen go out on pretty much and type of LCD, they have a replacement for it. The second shout out goes to Toshiba for making such a good laptop. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop and it is by far the easiest laptop that I have ever worked on. my old Gateway and dells were a pain in the ass to work on. On top of that, The interior design of the Toshiba is way more rugged than the Dell or the Gateway ever thought about being. If you are in the market for a laptop, check out the Toshiba. Best Buy has the one that I have on sale right now for $579.00 here.

Nikon received an award yesterday for "best service". You can read all about it here, but if you want the real service story read on. My flash had an untimely demise(remember the capacitor through the finger earlier...) so I send it to Nikon to get fixed. The flash arrived at the Nikon repair center. I had it tracked through FedEx so I know when it got there. It took them three days to log it in their system, at which point I had to wait another 2 days to be able to log into their online system. Initial estimate was done, I paid the required fee(they won't warranty stuff like that) and waited. Three weeks went by without a single word from them. All of this time mind you, the status on their online system never changed, it stayed at "in shop". Long story short it took them over a month to get my flash back to me. Their service is lacking slightly. The main problem is that the call center doesn't directly communicate with the repair center. They send emails. Whether or not the repair center returns the email, is the real question. I have found that you have a 50/50 shot... Anyway, if you break something, and it has to be fixed, don't expect a quick turn around time.

That's it.. That's all I got this morning. Maybe something will pop into the old brain later on. If so, I'll get it up here before it runs away from all of the empty space in there... Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment